Category Archives: Video Chats
“We Can Do It” – Our tribute to all the Rosie Riveters and the passing of the model for Norman Rockwell’s Rosie – Mary Doyle Keefe. Thank you all from Estate Sales News.
Estate Sales News is excited to share the new features and advertisers joining us starting tomorrow, April 1st here on the Front Page.
Our newest advertiser is Estatesale.com a website that lists over 3500 estate sale companies (and growing) and advertises estate sale companies, estate sales, tag sales, and moving sales. They offer free email notifications of the estate sales on their website and are based out of Roaring Spring, Pennsylvania.
Our new monthly guest author is Judy Martin, ISA CAPP from Wheaton, IL. Judy wrote the article that is part of Estate Sales News about what is USPAP! She is the past President of the International Society of Appraisers (ISA), a nationally known appraiser and speaker and she along with her daughter Kate offer ISA appraisals, estate liquidations and own a high end consignment shop, The Perfect Thing in Wheaton.
Estate Sales News will also be offering estate sale companies only SEO consultation and a tab to access this information needed is on the top right side of our Front Page.
You can subscribe or register with us on the upper left side of the Front Page to receive newly published articles and you can follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, and YouTube.
We are passionate about estate sales and the estate sale industry and we thank you for being part of our audience.
For the millions of Jews and Christians in this country these holidays are very important on a variety of levels including being with family or friends.
Many estate sale companies will conduct liquidations on Friday and Saturday, however, Sunday seems to be a slow day in many areas.
Checking out the major estate sale listing websites, the larger metro areas appear to have many sales for Friday and Saturday. Smaller more rural areas appear to have fewer sales.
Once this weekend passes, Spring estate sales will resume with a fever pitch for all those moving, downsizing, or needing to sell off the contents of an estate. Baby boomers are on the move.
There is a lot of news coming in the next few weeks about the estate sales business. Be sure your are registered or subscribe to Estate Sales News. The tab is on the left side of our Front Page. It’s free, no obligation, you can choose the topics your interested in or just receive any newly published article right to your in box and you can opt out at any time. Just news to keep you informed.
Don’t miss our video tomorrow about the new features and advertisers coming to EstateSalesNews.com on Wednesday, April 1st. We’re excited and we hope you are too.
Estate Sales News traveled to the Morgan Park section of Chicago on Tuesday to meet and speak with nationally Judy Martin, a certified appraiser ISA, CAPP, long time estate liquidator and owner of The Perfect Thing, a high end consignment shop in Wheaton, Il. She is a Director of the ISA (International Society of Appraisers) past president 2009-2011, she was a lead instructor for them as well.
Next week she will be conducting an estate sale in Morgan Park for the estate of Jack and Marjorie Simmerling. Jack Simmerling was a well known Chicago artist and he and his wife had many interesting collections. Here is part one of our interview.
This video chat is about the session we will moderate about estate sale contracts at the 2014 Memphis Estate Sale Conference starting in two weeks sponsored by EstateSales.Net. The video was done in a hotel lobby so please accept my apologies for the sun glare.
Conducting a face to face interview with estate sale companies. Important questions & details.
- Be sure you have paper and pen on the table to take notes during the interview.
- When you arrange for the face to face interview with estate sale companies leave plenty of room between the interviews so that one company doesn’t bump into another. Better for them and for you.
- After introductions show the liquidator through your home and explain what your reason for the sale is. Be sure to let them know if there are items that will not be for sale. An estate sale company has to know if the sale is viable for them as well.
- After completing the walk thru sit down at a table for the face to face discussion.
- Start by asking the estate liquidator how they got started in the liquidation business, how long they have been in business, where they gained their experience and do they have any certifications. If you are not speaking with the owner of the estate sale company, let them know you will want to do this face to face before making a decision. You should know who you are dealing with.
- Ask them about their staff, i.e. training (did they train them or someone else), experience, number of them, can they increase staff for larger sales, and do they allow their staff to buy before the sale starts.
- Be sure to inquire in depth about their advertising. Do they use print media, have their own website, where do they list their sales, do they utilize social media and how, and do they have an email list of followers to send out news of sales every week or time they hold one. Advertising directly effects your financial bottom line.
- It’s time to review the estate sale contract that the company uses. Be sure you review line by line with the estate sale company and ask about any concerns or questions you have.
- The estate sale company should bring copies from the internet of prior sales (easily printed off most listing sites or their website) to showcase their work. It helps to see their photos and the prior sales they have run. If they don’t bring anything along ask them to come back with some examples of their sale. A brochure is great, but it is an advertising tool.
- Ask them for telephone numbers of some of their previous clients so that you can speak with them.
- And when it is time for the interview to end, review in your mind how you felt about the person you just spoke with. You can continue with these thoughts after you’ve said your goodbyes. Did you have a good rapport, did you feel trusting, did they seem reliable and knowledgeable, and did they demonstrate experience.
All of this information is help you be an informed, educated, and well savvy consumer.
Today we start video discussion about choosing an estate sale company.
We hope you gain information from this video. Please email us at Carol@estatesalesnews.com
This discussion will continue, but we hope this is a start.
Estate Sales News would like to introduce you to the first of our weekly chats here on the internet. As you’ll see we’ll be discussing all aspects of estate sales and the estate sales business. We are always looking to make Estate Sales News your source for information, tips, and estate sale guidance. Welcome to our first weekly chat.